Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

Today is Joel & my 13th Anniversary. . . so much has happened in those many/few years. . . Three kids, two dogs, two college degrees, 3 years in the military, and too much life to count! I know that we were young when we married but looking at these pictures reminds me of how very young we were (and skinny!) ;>)

Take a walk down memory lane with me. . .

1.) Here we are at the rehearsal -- both Joel & I were very excited! Joel spent the night with his buddies and arrived late (later than I expected, I should say) on the morning of the wedding. Whew! He made it! :)

2.) Here is Becky Schmitt and Diana Herb helping me get ready (all those little buttons at my wrist) -- I was nervous and excited!


The photographer, Mike Dean, took our pictures with each of us "apart" with our family prior to the wedding and saved our "together" pictures until after the wedding (so Joel didn't see me in my dress until the actual ceremony). Here's some of the better pictures:

3.) This picture cracks me up because it really captures the youthful cockiness of Joel. . . He was two weeks from turning 18 years old. . . He strutted when he walked. . . He was a great kisser. . . He liked to give me that sly smile. Here he is having a "guy moment" with his brother, Krag -- his best man. Krag is the one who introduced us: He was fresh out of the Navy and started attending the community college where I was a freshman and we hit it off. I was dating someone else and my friend, Tammy, had a huge crush on Krag -- so we hung out talking and I heard stories about his suave little brother. During winter break Krag invited me and my friends over to play cards and I met Joel -- Joel was grounded and stuck at home & my boyfriend was back home with his family. . . We laughed, cheated at cards, and eventually fell in love. Wowee! See why Krag's the best man? ;>)



4.) My friends cracked up when, after many many pictures, I sat down with Sarah on the steps of the alter to relax until it was time for the wedding :>) Can you believe that Sarah was a mere 9-years-old then and is now 22-years-old and a Registered Nurse down in Medford?!? She's grown into a absolutely beautiful woman and one of my best friends. . . I'm glad we shared this special moment.

5.) During the wedding ceremony people commented on the beauty of this moment. . . lighting our unity candle and sharing a special moment. Admittedly the day was blessed -- end of September is often the rainy season but our day was clear with a rainbow outside. . . We were both happy but also joked about the fact that everyone probably thought it was a precious moment and we were both feeling beads of sweat sliding down (and wanted to itch!). Alas, this is a wee bit typical for us: great friends joking and sharing time as opposed to having romantic moments. . . Ahh well.


6.) When we were finally wed, we had the usual "Wedding Party" picture -- many thanks to all our supportive friends! Pictured: Becki, Melissa, Diana, Sarah, Jonathon, Joel & Elizabeth Priddy, Mandy, Krag, Dustin, Kevin, and (little brother) Tim.

7.) First dance. . . Danced to "One boy, one girl" by Collin Raye

8.) The Toast. . . Krag then Diana then, one by one, each of my siblings toasted us. VERY cool!

9.) Here's a picture of us feeding each other cake. . . Always the question: smash it into the face or feed gently? Joel strongly believe that you need to feed each other gently as it's a sign of respect and trust -- we were nice to one another ;>) Isn't he cute?


10.) Ahh, the wedding mobile. . . That car served it's purpose but it was an AWFUL old car! When we gave it to Mom & Dad to donate to charity -- Joel had replaced the head a couple of times and the front driver's seat was propped up on a block of wood. But, we were a poor, young, newlywed couple and there are memories associated with it :>)

11.) Finally, Mr. and Mrs. Joel and Elizabeth Priddy:

So, there you go. . . That's where we were 13 years ago today. We missed our first three anniversaries together because we were apart for the military and other bits of life happened, and, today I've had a slight case of food poisoning and Joel's battling a bug too. . . Par for the course? Ahh, but we've hung in there and 13 years later, we're still Mr. & Mrs. Priddy. . . pretty good for a couple of young kids getting married ;>)

One last pic just as a P.S. -- Joel's cousins, Mandy & Jonathan, were our flower girl and ringbearer -- they were too cute!


2 comments:

Rebecca said...

How cool to get see pictures from your wedding! We weren't really in contact then, so I missed out on the whole thing. Now I feel a little bit like I was there. Congratulations on 13 years! You're 8 ahead of us!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Becca :>) I'm glad we're getting back in touch . . . Happy memories of our childhood together!