Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Dear Children. . .

Dear Children. . . Tonight is a historic night -- our nation has elected its first African-American president (a mere 40 years or so after the Civil Rights movement). Admittedly, I've been a Obama fan in a large part because he is so different than our usual candidates.

Let me tell you a bit about my experiences: My elementary school years were in the era of the Cold War -- remember a week or so ago when we talked about nuclear weapons and the threat our nation felt? Remember how we talked about the mass destruction of Hiroshima countering our experiences at Pearl Harbor? Remember how we talked about our current threat of nuclear weapons coming not from controlled, governed nations but instead coming from radical terrorist groups who buy them from greedy people willing to sell to the highest bidder?

I come from a childhood of seeing numerous presidents vie for office with promises of improvement only to become "politicians" who seem to say what the public wants to hear but act in a way that will win them the most influence (in other words, think of the "cool kids" at school who will do whatever it takes to be popular even if it means doing what they know is wrong). These experiences of my childhood have made me cynical -- I have grown to feel like "why even bother voting" because to vote feels like I'm choosing one liar/name-caller over another -- and it feels like I'm endorsing those behaviors. It's been sad and frustrating.

I've longed for the Presidential leadership of our history; the inspiring speeches and changes made by presidents like Abraham Lincoln and Franklin D. Roosevelt and John F. Kennedy. I felt like my parents were so interested in politics because they had experienced truly great leaders and they knew that things could be different.

In my lifetime it's been debated whether or not we should even question when the President lies to the nation -- like we're not quite clear whether or not that's right or wrong. We've seen people with questionable ethics but have felt like we need to accept it because all politicians are like that -- truly good people can't get elected.

I feel like tonight we have hope for change. . . This is the first time I've felt like that. Admittedly, I would support McCain as president had he won because I believe in democracy -- in making decisions based on the majority and then supporting the candidate once those decisions have been made. I think John McCain was a good candidate: He, too, made great arguments and he genuinely wanted to make the United States a better place. Alas, he had experience in the political realm and I've been skeptical of him being a "politician" like the stereotype I've defined over the years. I believe he's made mistakes over the years and that he's tried to learn from them. I trust that he's a good man.

And, I voted for Obama. Why? Because he inspires me. Because for years, I've wanted someone who inspires our nation, who is willing to push for what he believes is "right" and who doesn't speak in terms of "I will. . . " but instead speaks as "We will. . . " When I listen to Obama speak I do not hear a "politician" instead I hear a leader -- that's a big difference to me. Admittedly, I'm cynical enough to question whether or not he's for real and whether or not he will live up to his campaign promises, but I took this chance for you -- how can I not take a chance on someone who wants to make the world a better place for you?

I want to believe that Peace is Possible (the theme of a youth convention I'd attended in Junior High shortly after the Berlin Wall came down). I want to believe that we can find compromise with other nations through talks and not might (similar to how I encourage you boys to talk it out and resorting to violence only when you are physically threatened). I want to believe that our nation doesn't need to have such a big divide between the wealthy and the welfare populations. I want to believe that all people can have their basic needs met. I want to believe that we can have a UNITED nation that isn't divided by politics, race, or social background. I want to believe that this world can be a better place for you than it currently is -- understanding that the world swings on a pendulum between trying to improve and becoming lackadaisical.

I have hope that Faith, at 6 years old, will not experience the cynicism I've acquired and that she will have hope and faith in our country.

So, dear children, I hope that tonight is the beginning of a better world for you. God bless us all!

Love you,

mom

3 comments:

Dhiya Aizat said...

thanks for yor comment and i hope u'll always be happy with your family..

SusanE said...

Obama inspires me also, He seems to have vision, wisdom and enthusiasm.

I hope that he can live up to the standards we have set for him. I hope we have not set the standards so unimaginably high that he can not possibly reach them.

I'm impressed with his choice of advisers and his statemanship. He may have a level of diplomacy that we have not seen in U.S. politics in a very long time.

Elizabeth said...

Agreed! :>)