Sunday, March 29, 2009

Depression

Let's face it: Life sucks these days. I'm getting numerous emails in my inbox all providing warning signs of depression . . . webmd, health.com, prevention. . . they're all doing it. I suppose that with the highest unemployment rate since the Great Depression and forecasts that things may get worse -- we're all subject to depression. And, I think that the general morale contributes to it. . . I mean, when you're fighting depression you're supposed to avoid negative people; people that bring you down. But truly, right now we're all commiserating with one another and wallowing in the misery. In my small town of Junction City the primary employer (Country Coach) filed for bankruptcy and has been shut down for a couple of months. The news channels feature teasers that if a judge rules in their favor they may be able to reopen (and re-hire the town's people). But the emotional yo-yo and anxiety of people waiting to hear is apparent even in the grocery store.

We're no longer greeted by smiling faces when we walk around town. There aren't a community of support people giving you a pep talk and telling you things will get better. Instead, we're told, "Hey, at least you've got a job." Depression seems inevitable. But we try to hang in there and have faith. . .

Alas, I'm losing my steam. . . The point of this little blog was to point out that, yes, the economy and employment statistics are depressing, and yes, we need to be aware of the warning signs. But, really, where can we find the "pep talk" we so desperately need?

No comments: