Friday, February 8, 2008

Last night in NYC


Well, it's official: I'm exhausted! Pleasantly so, as I sit here in my hotel room in my sweats & tank top, eating part of a brownie, drinking milk, and watching "Bridget Jones' Diary." Ahh. . .


















Today's activities? I attended class this morning and learned a few things ;>) Things like converting currency, translating categories to foreign languages, and enabling cube users to over-write data weren't particularly useful topics, but I did get some ideas for things we could do and that helps me get excited with this new job :>)

But, confession: I skipped out of class early (lunch-time) and then headed out to Central Park to see Belvedere's castle. . . It was beautiful, smaller than expected, and had outstanding views of the park. Admittedly, I continue to be surprised at how much smaller things are than in the movies :>) Guess the camera adds 10 pounds. I loved the carved rock steps and the variety of playgrounds and . . . getting a small sense of home :>) Alas, it's winter and there's no leaves on the trees; the bulbs are starting to peek up giving me a hint of the beauty in the spring. I think it would be great to visit in various seasons.

Also, minor miracle: I successfully navigated New York on my own (stadium cheers). Nancy went out with her daughter and so I figured out the appropriate subway to travel back and forth to the park. Very cool :>)

Then, while missing my children, I went out and spoiled them by buying a bunch of souveniers. Places of interest? Build-a-Bear, a HUUUUGGGGE Toys-R-Us store (it was 3 stories, had a ferris wheel, and a big tyranosaurus!), Hard Rock Cafe, and a local health food store. I love the freedom of going wherever I want whenever I want ;>) I also get a sense of satisfaction at having grown familiar with this neighborhood (to my surprise I discovered that the Empire State Building is literally behind our building and across the street).

For those of you familiar with Manhattan: We're staying at the Comfort Inn near Herald Square off 35th (near 6th and Broadway).

Anyhoo, I fly out tomorrow at 7:30 in the morning; meaning that I need to be at the airport by 5:40 AM (God help us!) and then I'll drive home from Seattle so as to avoid the inevitable layovers and delays. . . I'm ready to hug my kids, kiss my husband, and sleep in my bed! Have I mentioned that already?

"Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home." So true!

P.S. My feet feel bruised.

P.P.S. I packed an extra duffel bag in my suitcase and it is now full! :>)

No comments: