Thursday, February 7, 2008

NYC: Thursday night

Hi!


I've decided that I could be a New Yorker. . . maybe ;>) I love the people watching and that there's constantly something. I like wondering about everyone's story and hearing so many accents. I like being able to walk everywhere and see something new everywhere! On the flip side, I miss the trees and greenery of Oregon (sigh).

Impressions today? We went to Time Square and it's all the bright flickering lights and more than I expected. . . very cool! Rockerfeller Center, on the other hand, felt more cliche and smaller than expected. . . until I read the plaque at the front with a long statement on "I believe. . . " -- it was very touching and renewed my spirit :>)


Then we made it down to lower Manhattan for dinner where there was some sort of contest/party going on at a park and they had what looked like a skateboard ramp covered in snow and TONS of people and lights. . . We never quite figured out what was going on there. Hmm. . . And we had dinner at a local pub -- I LOVE the people! I've found that all the waiters, doormen, and housekeeping seem genuinely surprised when I look them in the eye and smile. I like to pick up conversations with them and ask them what they'd recommend. Very cool.


Other good memory: The parking garage guy down the street. He's an old man in a black stocking cap who reminds me of Joe Pesci. He holds a sign for parking and stops people on the sidewalk when there are cars trying to enter the garage's driveway. . . We started off making eye contact each day (since I pass him each time I head back & forth from the hotel), then a nod, then a smile, and now I'm up to a smile & a wave. It's very cute and I enjoy our daily interactions. . . Is that silly? Ahh well, it's good all the same.


By today, I'm just too tuckered to write too much. . . Tonight is my last night here and so I think I should try to get some rest so I'm ready to go. I'm hoping to hit Central Park tomorrow. . . wowee!
P.S. The Gothic-looking building is the New York Archdiocese's Cathedral. It's beautiful! Bummer deal is that the bottom half of the building is under construction. . . not quite the same. Still, gorgeous architecture in the midst of the sky scrapers. . . Lots of art to be seen in my surroundings.
P.P.S. I miss my kids, my bed, and the hugs from my husband . . . Oh, and a good night's sleep! (Have I mentioned that already?) :>)

No comments: