Monday, January 5, 2009

Drum Roll Please. . .

So, as I've been working on my desk space, Faith's room, and organizing the downstairs (building bookshelves, buying baskets, etc.) the boys have commented on "when are you going to fix up OUR room?!?" I'd roll my eyes and continue on with my projects. Little did they know that I've been scheming to fix up their room for a long time now. . . . Months and months (possibly even years).

Some of you may know that I chose to do this as a surprise for the boys' Christmas present, but I also roped them in for labor. . . They'd been asking to paint their bedroom since I painted my bedroom this summer -- they wanted some bright colors. Well, over the Christmas break I opted to try to teach them about priming and painting. My crazy thoughts? They are 11 and 12 years old and need to learn to paint at some point -- best they learn before we replace the carpets!

So, here's some pictures of the process. . . Thankfully Mom & Dad kidnapped the kids overnight for some sledding at their house and I was free to assemble to my heart's content (they'd been begging me to let them move back into their room since they'd been sleeping on Faith's floor but I told them they couldn't until the paint dried). Thankfully I had some wonderful helper elves with the assembly! It went much quicker than expected :) (Thanks Kim & Blandon!!)

Anyhoo. . . Drum roll please. . .

1.) Here's the lovely wood paneling that's driven me crazy since we moved in. . . Icky, icky! :>P


2.) Here's the boys' bed -- it's a loft bed and we'd had the intent to build another one but the boys opted to make it a bunk bed by placing the other mattress on the floor below it.

3.) I found them using one of their dressers as a toybox -- a lovely dresser that I didn't want to get ruined. . . So, that was taken out of their room in the "bedroom makeover"

4.) No storage for toys was another problem that needed to be addressed.

5.) Priming the walls
6.) The inevitable. . .
I didn't get any pictures of Elijah the Smurf because he'd already jumped into the shower.

7.) Drum roll please. . .
8.) The cleanest this room will ever look (before they ever even saw it!)

Lots of storage space under the bed! Joel built the TV stand out of the wood from the old loft bed.
LOTS of storage space for the boys!!

9.) The boys have moved in. . . :)


Very cool. ;>)

2 comments:

Kim said...

You are the coolest mom EVER. I mean that. And you have the coolest kids -- no surprise there.

Look at those happy faces! I'm so glad they love it. It was fun helping out with the building, even though I basically sat on my butt, put screws in backwards, and generally deferred to Blandon. :)

Elizabeth said...

Yet your help was TRULY appreciated!! Thanks so much for everything (especially for being a friend who volunteers to come over to my house after work and build beds just a couple days before Christmas) -- you're awesome!